Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Fuad's one year

I feel like such a slacker Mama lately. I am so busy with paperwork for our Girlie's adoption and busy stuff with the boy's school....my blog has been neglected. 

On Friday night, for some reason, I decided to read my blog posts from last year.  This time a year ago, we were in Serbia.  This past Friday was actually Fuad's adoption day.  He has officially been part of our family for a year, but it really feels like he's always been here.  The only way that you would know that he came from another country is that he still doesn't speak much English.  Well, scratch that.  I have been told that he speaks quite a bit at school.  At home....very little.  Of course, that could be because Vlado NEVER is quiet.  I assume that Fuad realizes this and is just quiet because he knows that he can't get a word in edge wise. :D

He is doing ok at school.  It is being discussed right now that he might be held back in 1st grade next year.  I think about the fact that if that happens, he will be 20 when he graduates.  But, in reality, I cannot think about that.  The fact is that right now, this is the right decision for him.  He is still quite developmentally behind....emotionally, socially, educationally, including fine motor skills and speech.  He is still closer to about a 2 or 3 year old  in those respects.  Vlado was still very behind at a year home and really, he was still behind at 2 years home.  He has made amazing strides in the last 6 months.  I know that Fuad may or may not catch up.  If he doesn't...well, he doesn't.  He is still our boy and we will work to help him be what he can be. 

It's really hard to explain the growth he has experienced.  I always knew that kids are different.  I mean, I have worked with kids in day cares, nurseries, and when I was in college.  (I have a degree in elementary education)  But, I guess it never really sunk in.  Our boys are about as different as chocolate and cheese.......but they compliment each other.  They are brothers through and through.  Vlado does his best to help Fuad and really is a great big brother.  Fuad is a great little brother in that he drives Vlado NUTS!  He intentionally does things that Vlado doesn't like to make Vlado grouse.  (He reminds me so much of my brother, Kevin!)  But, in all honesty, that is progress!  You see, he did not interact with the kids in the orphanage because they picked on him relentlessly.  Now, he knows that Vlado is not going to be mean to him...even if he is being a pain.  He trusts Vlado completely and it is wondrous to see!  He will now look us in the eyes....he is very serious at first and then will giggle.  He fights to hold my hand and will crawl up into my lap spontaneously.  He can make a decision with simple stuff like picking a snack or deciding which movie he wants to watch and can tell us although it is usually in whispers.  He has been potty trained since last summer and has never had an accident (at home anyway), even at night. 

He is an amazing little guy are we are so thankful that he was sent to us! 




1 comment:

  1. We're in the middle of making the same decision for K...I am having trouble wrapping my head around him being 20 when he graduates as well. We still aren't sure what we're going to do, but I'm leaning toward giving him an extra year in Kindergarten as well. It's hard!

    ReplyDelete